Specialists in Classical Location Sound Recording
Musicali — The Borromini Ensemble (OXCD-91)
Davies (Recorder), Sarah Westwood (Soprano)
Jean Gubbins (Violoncello), Richard Silk (Harpsichord)
1. Sonata in D minor Cima (Recorder)
2. Canzona in F major Riccio (Recorder)
3. Scherzi Musicali Monteverdi (Soprano and Ensemble)
4. Canzona V, Toccata IX, Canzona II Frescobaldi (Recorder and Harpsichord)
5. Cantata "Clori mia, Clori bella" Scarlatti (Ensemble)
6. Sonata in D minor Marcello (Recorder)
7. Suite in G minor Pasquini (Harpsichord)
8. Cantata "All' ombra di sospetto" Vivaldi (Ensemble)
The Borromini Ensemble perform works spanning the whole period of the Italian Baroque, from the birth of the seconda pratica to the late Baroque of Vivaldi. Recorded
in June 2001 in St James' Church, Cardington, Salop.
Produced by Robin Barry.
Post (May 2002)
Individual tracks may be previewed and purchased from several sites including these below:
Performances from the group bring scholarship without aridness, authentic style without preciosity. The performers' joyous delight in recreating the many-sided emotions....is winningly captured on this generous
new CD. ****
BBC Music (2002)
Their programme is an imaginative mix of solo and ensemble pieces, some not recorded elsewhere, and all relatively little known. Alan Davies plays recorder music by Cima and Riccio with fluent ease, and a Marcello sonata with tasteful decorations. The ensemble is best in two cantatas, by Scarlatti and Vivaldi, in which Sarah Westwood sings with real charm, if her lovely tone is as the expense of clear words. Her first group of songs consists of all the solo items from Moneverdi's 1632 Scherzi Musicali, not otherwise currently available as a set on CD. ***
The Recorder Magazine (August 2002)
This is a beautifully presented disc full of varied delights, with the two baroque cantatas being the gems: both new to me and stylishly performed.